Thermostat acts as temperature manager in majority of the Western homes and regions where there is instability in climatic conditions which will raise the need of temperature maintenance within the building. The first thermostat was invented by Cornelis Drebble and it was a mercury thermostat. From its invention to the entry into post modern era thermostats evolved several times. It is not that simple to choose a thermostat as wrong selection might lead to loss of money. The following information will help you to select the right thermostat.
Type of System
There are many systems starting from the traditional to the most advanced and the type installed will decide the type of thermostat to be bought.
- A single stage system contains either a gas supply, air heater or an electric AC system and is the most common used type.
- A multi stage system contains alternate supply like solar panels for emergency backup. This is useful whenever a sudden drought dries out the primary supply.
- The most advanced system is multi stage heat pump which specifically uses a heat pump for emergency temperature control. This will also increase the efficiency of the primary system.
HVAC specialists are always available if you are not able to derive a conclusion about the type of system.
Type of Thermostats
The next major step for having a complete system is to select the right thermostat. It is recommended to buy advanced thermostats in case of advanced systems for smooth operation of the system without any jitters. The options available in the market are huge and the choice must be taken with extreme care. The following is a list of different types of thermostats that can be found in the market.
- Mechanical thermostats
- Programmable thermostats
- Non-programmable thermostats
- Electronic thermostats
- Smart or WIFI thermostats
The performance of each thermostat varies. Similar is the case with the features offered by the company through the devices. However, selecting the right thermostat will not complete the job; it needs to be placed in an appropriate position within the home for proper functioning.
Where to Place the Thermostat Within the Home?
Another point to take into consideration is the placement of thermostat inside the home. Here are a few things to consider before placing the thermostat within the home.
- Install the thermostat on inside walls away from direct sunlight.
- Mount it safely keeping it at a fair distance away from heat sources which can alter the sensory ability of the device.
- Thermostat should not be blocked by any objects and it is not to be placed in a congested space where the temperature is more than the usual.
- The allowance for maximum coverage should be taken into consideration when placing a device at a particular point.
So, consider all the things mentioned in the article before selecting a thermostat for your home. An apt thermostat can bring harmony through desired temperature and make home a wonderful place than before.